TYPE: Tower design
EXTENT: Exhibit in Milan
LOCATION: Hong kong
CLIENT: Rics international competition
COLLABORATION: Algorithm Optimization
TEAM: Ximing Zhong\ Penghui Xu\ Jin Lin
CATEGORY: Architecture design
PARTICULAR THANKS: Professor Mazzola Marena
Urban Deconstruction Machine, a new home for the lower-level Hong Kong people
“Urban deconstruction machine” is a conceptual project, an application case of algorithm in architectural design. Through artificial design logic and computer-aided calculation, an alternative low-rent housing scheme is designed for low-income groups in Hong Kong.
STEP 1 CURRENT SITUATION OF HONG KONG
Hong Kong is a place where land is cheap, and many people have no choice but to limit their living space because they cannot afford the high housing fees.
Noisy billboard, can imagine this upstairs at the same time there are many businesses.
People were packed like sardines into canned rooms. In order to improve the utilization rate of space, people will spontaneously transform the living environment
STEP 2. INTRODUCTION OF THE CONCEPT
How can this Shared efficiency be maximized?
Our common building structure (below left) is a core with a core first, surrounded by residential buildings, the structure is layer by layer, so that its freedom is mainly limited to the plane: a central space, can be at most its adjacent four Spaces Shared. And if we open up a space with degrees of freedom along the Z-axis, a central space can be Shared by at least eight adjacent Spaces at the same time.
STEP 3 DETERMINE THE EXPLORATION DIRECTION
We need to analyze the relationship between Spaces with the help of spatial relation topology diagram. And we extend space Syntax from 2D to 3D. In order to study the logical relationship between space, area, rationality and generate skeleton.
Behind each set of physical Spaces in Space Syntax there is a unique fixed bound Space. And then the more a point is connected to another point, the more spatially accessible it is, the greater the tendency to reach it.
Different house types, because a wall and a relationship through a slightly different, on the flow of people and the impact of this mutual relationship, formed a completely different logic of life.
Space Syntax can extract the relationship between Space and Space, so in turn, it can also determine what a Space should look like in 3D, what it looks like, governs Space. The order of one’s life or the rules by which one lives determines one’s life, one’s connection to one’s neighborhood, and one’s connection to various places. And this relationship determines the spatial topology behind it. The spatial topology, again, determines the only physical space. This kind of interlocking logic can help us control the formation of a space.
STEP 4 THE LOGIC OF FORM GENERATION
1. Select the basic functions that make up the building space: core tube, corridor, basic functional unit, etc.
2. Connect the architectural function with the related behaviors of people to determine the spatial relationship: First, we evenly arrange the functional space (restaurant, reading room, store) in the site.
The yellow line indicates that the two Spaces will be related. The stronger the relationship between the two, the stronger the “gravity” on the yellow line will be, which means that the two Spaces will be closer.
3. Through 3D space syntax, the attraction is used to find the position of functional space: under the influence of gravity (relation), these small squares representing different Spaces will gradually approach and finally gather into an architectural analogue.
4. Use Galapagos to establish the required distance between functions and find the best and shortest way, which is a feedback mechanism of architectural space
5. We convert social relations into three types of living units, and conduct deep learning to calculate the most humane mode of transportation: we judge whether walls need to be built according to the quality of the relationship between the two objects. In the computer calculation, we put “0” to mean there is no wall and they can be connected to each other; The “1” represents the building of walls, with barriers to block each other. For example, “00001” might represent a long corridor with a wall at the end.
STEP 5 THE GENERATION OF HOUSE TYPE
▼Double Normal Unit
▼Vertical Unit Combination:
You can see the distribution of beds and public space. In the middle are basically restaurants, kitchens, toilets and other Spaces with very high accessibility. Beds of residents are arranged in the upper, lower and left sides of the functional space. Enhance vertical accessibility.
▼ The result of combining residential monomer with public space.
▼A Combined Standard Floor
Analyse the size and furniture size, calculate the most common and smallest module for HK people in residential building, have more flexibility and different function space.
STEP 6 OUTCOME
Finally, according to the combination of the building frame calculated by the algorithm and the basic house type unit designed by man, the building form gradually becomes clear.